Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Food Storage Goal

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (a Mormon) and for a long time the Church has strongly encouraged everyone to have a year supply of food. My husband and I have worked on this every now and then, and we really haven't reached this goal... Not even close.

A few months ago, we had stayed over at a friends house and they have the ideal food storage. They even have a room dedicated for food/emergency supplies. Now, it may sound extreme, and most people have this view as us Mormons doing this for some kind of catastrophic event. Well, it's important to have this type of supply because you don't know what if. What if your husband loses his job, what if their is a gas shortage and you can't get to the store (or the supplies can't be sent to store), what if you just don't have enough money to cover living expenses? Food Storage is for preparation and to help us not be scared of the what if's. Just like the parable of the 10 virgins and 5 had oil in their lamps, and 5 did not. I would like to be one of those 5 that had oil.

So any hoo.. Our friends brought up a good point. They weren't being mean, it was actually a very concerned, loving remark. They stated, "You have been married 8 years, and don't have a supply of food." That's it. This is something not only our church encourages us to have, but the Red Cross and the government. This isn't old news. It really hit me that we have been married 8 years and haven't gone past 3 months of food supplies.

At the same time this epiphany came that we really need to take this seriously and not wait, I had a babysitting job lined up to watch my nephew 5 days a week. It isn't much money, but it is extra. My friend shared her experience of working outside the home and she says, she doesn't spend her money on frivilous things, but to put her money to good use for the family. She says, when work takes her away from being at home with her kids, that money she earns goes towards a need. And that need is supplies.

So, not counting Christmas presents :), I have been putting my money that I have been earning towards first 72 hour kits and now food storage. It is not easy, and does require a lot of thought and organization. I am proud to say we finally have 72 hour kits and the food is food we would eat, so we can rotate it without letting it go bad. So, my goal (and my families) is that we work on our supply of food. My goal is to have 6 months of food/supplies stored by the time I turn 30 this year. It is a sacrifice, but it is something that is useful and benefits my family in the long run, and protects any future struggles we may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment