Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Speed Work

Through out the year I have been participating in our gym's Run Club, which has been a great way for me to meet other runners and talk about upcoming races and sharing advice, and learning to train effectively. Well, during the summer in AZ the Wednesday morning workouts had to be switched from 8:45am to 5:30am. I didn't think it was possible for me to run that early since I have kids... but then I realized it's while they are sleeping and they can just wake up dad while I'm gone! So today was my first speed workout on the track. Usually in Run Club we just go out and work on distance. Well today was a nice change for the usual routine and it felt great to get the burn in my legs and lungs. I don't know much about Speedwork now, but today we did sets of sprinting 800 yards and jogging 400yds, repeated 4 times. I just loved the feeling of pushing myself and the idea of working harder and hopefully improve my time. I couldn't believe the difference between 5:30am an 6:30am (when I usually go running) and that it is possible to keep training in the AZ summer. What an awesome morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment